Monday, September 30, 2013

Creativity: Beyond Luxury

For most of my adult life, I've considered myself to be the non-creative type.

When I first got married, I couldn't cook to save my life, beyond pushing microwave buttons. I don't do crafts. Pinterest and Hobby Lobby intimidate me and give me nightmares.

I can play the piano and sing...but I leave no room for interpretation or improvisation. I only practice when I am going to perform. I read notes. I follow directions. I don't stray.

You get the idea. This is how I thought. I also thought that I didn't have time anyway. I had things to do, problems to solve, lists to check off.

To be creative would be nice. But it would also be a luxury -- with the time I couldn't afford.

And then, a couple of years ago, I rekindled an old idea...

I like to write.

I like to write.

I like to write.

I knew I was good at it, through college term papers and growing opportunities as an online copywriter. Then, in a bold stroke of whimsy, I started a blog.

And I just kept writing.

And I keep doing it -- online, offline, for business, for pleasure. I immersed myself in it (well, in the small amount of free time I had. I am still a mom, of course).

It occurred to me at some point that this process is necessary. It is more than just a luxury. It is good for my soul.

And it makes sense. For who is more creative than the ultimate CREATOR? And how can I know him better unless I step out of my busy life -- regularly -- and attempt to capture a little of that creative vision?

Even in Illinois....

For am I not created in his image? And what is more like his image than being a creator myself?

Fellow blogger Amy Sullivan helped inspire this post, so I'd encourage you to read her thoughts if you feel like you just don't have the time.

What do you think? Do you make the time necessary to create?

2 comments:

  1. I make the time, but the kids sometimes get in the way. As they get older, their schoolwork requires them to use the one and only computer we have in the house. That takes away from my writing time. It's been especially bad lately, and I'm really missing the writing. Of course, we've also had a rough week, and the ideas just don't flow when your brain is full of worry.
    As to creativity in general, I've always thought that parenthood brought out the creativity in all adults. Parenting requires creativity like I've never seen, it's just not the kind of creativity that can be pinned or shared on facebook. Each and every day, parents are faced with new problems in need of a creative solution. A parent has to be quite creative to come up with a solution to a baby diaper blowout in the middle of a store while dragging an unhappy three year old behind her. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha I'm so glad you brought up parenting as an outlet! I thought that but I forgot to include it. I can look at my somewhat functional and happy children and give myself a pat on the back.

    ReplyDelete

I am thrilled that you've read this far. I'll be even more thrilled if you leave a comment. If your email isn't public, remember to click "subscribe by email" below the comment box if you want to get my response in your email.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...