Thursday, January 9, 2014

Assessing Social Media and Life's Priorities

Hi. Remember me? I used to write here somewhat more frequently than every other month.

We've been really busy. So busy that some of us forget to fully dress.

When you've taken some time away from blogging, it's difficult to know where to start again. I have about a million half-baked ideas but lack the time or interest to write about them.

I'm mostly okay with that. During this time I've done some reevaluation about what I'm trying to accomplish here. And I have about zero ambition to be the Next Great Blogger, work with a bunch of sponsors and attract thousands of followers. When I focus on those things, I quickly lose the joy in the process.

So for those of you still following me -- I'm truly grateful for your interest and I'll do my best to keep up with you on a personal level when you respond to my writing.

It's hard to say what 2014 will bring to this space. I'd like to post at least once a week, but these days when free time is so rare and precious, I only want to post content that is interesting, meaningful and well-written. I also want to read and comment on other social media posts that are interesting and meaningful. I simply can't keep up with everything everyone posts, but I am not going to feel guilty about it.

Social media is a funny thing. It's a great tool -- it has helped me find adult human connection during some of my lonely times. It helps me think; it helps me laugh.

It's also a time-sucking, soul-dulling vortex. Shame on me for the times when I ignored my children or snapped at them because my day's first priority was "me time" on my phone or laptop. "Me time" is certainly important, but its purpose is to help me recharge so that I can focus on what's more important.

So what is my purpose here? I started doing this two years ago and jumped in completely blindly -- primarily out of curiosity and the desire to put some of my work out there. Now, I've gotten a good feel for this whole realm and I think I know what I want.

  • Create.  As I wrote about a few months ago, I need to be in touch with my creative side in order to thrive as a human being. This blog is a great outlet for me, regardless of who reads it, likes it, comments on it or shares it.
  • Connect. Blogging has helped me stay connected with old relationships and forge new ones in ways I never would have imagined. While my first priority is the people I can connect with in the flesh, social media is a tool for connecting with the rest of the world.
  • Encourage. There's a lot of stuff I could write about, but as I said above, I want to post what's interesting, meaningful and well-written. I hope you never feel like I'm wasting your time as a reader. While content will resonate in various ways with different people, my ambition is to make you smile, help you think outside the box and feel connected to me on some level.

I don't have any goals to attract followers or sponsors -- although I will continue to make effort to connect with other websites and creators when I can.

I'm looking forward to the upcoming year. Hopefully I'll have lots to share. We'll be in touch!

8 comments:

  1. Loved this! I was thinking about this the other day when Lillian wanted to cuddle and I was annoyed because I was busy pinning recipes on Pinterest. I took a step back and decided she was more important. Anyways, I will maybe start writing in my blog again too lol! And I will ALWAYS follow you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay Stephanie! You should write in your blog -- I will more excited than anyone! And I would snuggle that cutie Lillian all day if I could. I can't believe how big she is!

      Delete
  2. I agree with every bit of this, Gina! I wrestle with wanting to post more vs. only wanting to post content I care about. And I wrestle with keeping it all in check. But it IS a great outlet, a wonderful way to nurture my creative side in the midst of this whole mothering gig. Like I'm sure all of your readers, I look forward to seeing whatever you decide is in store for this space.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Absolutely agree!! I struggle with feeling guilty about "not keeping up" but then I think for what purpose and to what end?? Glad there's so many other's in the same boat. And regardless of a post a week or a post a month, or a post a year...we still love what you write and will be here ready to take it all in!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dana! Yeah the guilty feeling is so self-defeating. Whenever I start to feel bad, then I don't want to write at all, just out of rebellion to my guilt, if that even makes sense! So you can guess how productive that's been. And thanks for the vote of confidence too!

      Delete
  4. Gina, you wrote what lots of moms are thinking. I wish I could say I never put my child off while I finished typing something or reading something. I recently, too, took a hard look at how I spend my days. It's time to get back to why I started blogging in the first place.
    Have a lovely day!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gina, I stopped by to visit and saw this post (which I obviously had missed in January.) It's a beautiful, healthy perspective, and I agree! You could give your soul and energy to growing a blog in that time-sucking vortex, and for what? Holding the blog with a loose hand, and holding onto God's perspective tightly, will bring that balance and perspective we all need in that "do more, do more!" culture.

    This was a great post. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete

I am thrilled that you've read this far. I'll be even more thrilled if you leave a comment. If your email isn't public, remember to click "subscribe by email" below the comment box if you want to get my response in your email.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...